Search This Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Smiths do Round Top

Through the years, Brian and I have shared a love of garage sale, flea market, and antique store shopping. When we were dating, and first married, in college, we would hit up this flea market outside of Nacogdoches on Saturday mornings. We got his clock there:

I'm pretty sure we paid less than $10 for it (Brian says $5). It's lived with us in our apartment in Nac, our house in Houston, our house in Cedar Park, and now Driftwood. It still works and everything.


These days, our 'people's old trash' shopping experience is limited to the yearly Settlement Home garage sale in Austin (https://www.settlementhome.org/garage-sale/). Plug: The sale raises money for a great cause, The Settlement Home for Children, so if you're looking for a great place to donate, here's some ways you can help: https://www.settlementhome.org/waystogive/. Brian and I look forward to this all year. We have found many treasures there. Some vintage finds, like our antique desk, and this washboard, hanging on the stairwell gallery wall:


But, we also got our food processor and weed eater there too. I pretty much outfit my kids for the whole year from that sale. Like cute, boutique stuff and matching Christmas pajamas. Yes, please. 
Anyway, all that said, Brian and I have been really wanting to get some "new" (and by new, I mean new to us) things for this house. The challenge is that you have to be hunting for these items for as long as it takes. This requires patience, and acceptance, of your current space which doesn't quite align with your vision yet.

These days, you can re-do your whole house in a few hours at a furniture store. ("These days"?! Excuse me while I put on my bifocals, and get out my crossword. Is it cold in here? I need my sweater.) -Not knocking that at all by the way. Not everyone wants dead people's stuff in their house. If I was offered a Pottery Barn shopping spree-forget it. I take it all back. I love new stuff. (that's not sarcasm-my first language. That stuff is awesome.)
But, making things, re-doing old things, and finding those things takes time. 

As part of the hunt, about once a week, or so, Landon and I hit up the Goodwill nearest us to, "look for treasures". And, I have found some. Like this crate, for example:


Landon also found a Buzz Lightyear toy. I'm sure he would say was that was our greatest accomplishment on those trips.

But, this week, Brian and I did something we've wanted to do for a long time. We went to ROUND TOP. If you don't know, Round Top refers to about 10 miles of tents and shops in and near Round Top, TX. All filled with vendors peddling their wares. Many vintage, antique goodies, some rustic-looking creations, furniture....some of it is in the style of a garage sale:  a large table with a mound of tetanus, errr...rusty knobs, and old keys. Some of it beautifully styled, and usually more pricey. 
In one word: overwhelming. I think I was lost the whole time. "You'll give me a million dollars if I can point to where we parked?" Can't do it. I'm surrounded by chippy, rusty, dusty treasures and I can't, and don't want to, find my way out.
We walked from shop to shop from 10 AM-6 PM. My pedometer (on my phone. No, I didn't wear one on my belt.) clocked us at about 20 miles. So, if you're thinking of going, wear good shoes, take your water, and put on sunscreen.
And, if you're like me, maybe bring your flare gun/smoke signaling equipment.

Soooooo, here's some of the things we found in Round Top:

Side Table

Living Room Rug
Oktoberfest Table


That table right? We have had our eye on outdoor eating furniture/blogs about building our own, since we moved. We have two huge porches, and gorgeous views. The guys we bought this from were German, and informed us that the tables/benches are used by breweries for Munich's Oktoberfest (big party of tents with thousands of these tables drinking all day). They had like a thousand of these tables and benches you could mix and match. We sorted through many of them, but ended up being happy with all three pieces. We love that the table, and the benches can fold up, so they can be stored/moved easily. But, they are long and skinny, so they fit really well on the porch without taking up too much space.

We left feeling happy with our purchases, and had so much fun. I would go back tomorrow, but I think Brian would settle for next year. 

Thanks for reading! XO, Steph 


2 comments: