Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

What I buy from Costco, and What's For Dinner


 IMG_7685.JPG

No one at my house seems to know what day it is today. Brian and I thought it was Thursday, and Landon never knows what day it is. Carolynn of course, knew what day it was. Thankfully she enjoys correcting us, and got us all on track. 😜 It's Wednesday!

I made a trip to Costco this week, so I’m keeping it thrifty (more than usual) this week on the grocery store. I both dread, and look forward to Costco trips. It’s kind of fun to go through Costco, until you get to the check-out and it’s AT LEAST $200. If you even toss two extra things in your cart, you probably just added $30 to your bill. I try to stay all business in that place. Get what you need. Get out. But first get pizza, and a frozen yogurt from the cafe….because I’m only human.

From Costco, I buy:

  • Yogurt
    • Kirkland brand plain Greek Yogurt. We use this to eat (add honey, fruit, oats..) for breakfast and snacks, but also as a sub for sour cream in sauces.
  • Butter
  • Cheese
    • I almost never buy shredded cheese. I buy a whole block of Colby and shred it, or slice it as needed.
    • I will sometimes buy their mozzarella logs also if we’re planning a pizza night.
  • Tortilla Chips
    • We really don’t eat/buy chips except tortilla chips (see my love affair with salsa mentioned below). Tortilla chips and salsa is a winner with pretty much every one so it’s also a good thing to keep around in case guests pop in. It’s $3.54 for a giant bag of chips you think you could never eat all those chips! But we manage to crush that challenge every time.
  • Dried Fruit, Nuts
    • We switch between dried blueberries, and cherries. These also go on sale in the bulk section at Sprouts, which will end up a better deal. But we like to keep these around all the time, so I keep them stocked. We put these in yogurt, or mix them with nuts snacks.

    • IMG_7687.JPG

  • Laundry and Dishwasher soap
    • I’m not picky about it really. I usually use the Arm and Hammer detergent since it goes on sale frequently
  • Bread
    • A friend recommended Dave's Killer Bread to me recently and it's delicious. I keep it in the freezer to help it last.
 I’m actually planning on trying to make homemade sandwich bread today! I’ll take some pictures and share more on that next week!
  • Paper Products
    • Paper towels
    • Toilet paper
  • Trash Bags
  • MATEO’S SALSA
    • Have you had this? You will find yourself asking the question, “What can I eat salsa on? Can we eat salsa on this?” It’s the BEST salsa on Earth and every stinkin’ time I go, I buy 3 jars. So you go buy it too so they never stop selling it. GO!
  • Chicken Broth
    • I usually stock up on this more in the winter for soups.
  • Salt, Pepper and Garlic
 IMG_7688.JPG

  • Toothpaste
  • Aspirin and allergy meds
  • Dog food
    • To be honest, I’m not in the know about dog food pricing. I just buy it at Costco because it’s a stupid big bag and I don’t have to buy it again for a long time.

Depending on need, and sale items, I occasionally will also buy eggs, coconut water, fish sticks (they have some really good ones!) veggies, La Croix or Ozarka sparkling water.

I do not purchase meat from Costco. I have not found it to be cheaper than Sprouts-where I’m getting chicken this week for $1.88/pound.

Ok! Here’s this week’s menu. We are planning to have dinner with friends one night, where I’m planning to bring some snacks and a dessert. Angel food cake is $1.99 this week, so I’ll take that and some fruit because YUM. It’s a winner every time.


Wednesday
Leftovers!
Thursday
Sesame Honey Chicken Wraps (I use butter lettuce leaves)
Rice, veggie
Friday
Homemade pizza -pepperoni, margherita
Salad with tomatoes, carrots (.98) and cucumbers (3/$1)
Saturday
Grilled Chicken ($1.88/lb)
Grilled Zucchini, grilled corn (6/$1!!)
Maybe some of my homemade bread?!
Sunday
Dinner with friends

Bringing salsa, chips, roasted corn and avocado salad (I’ll throw all the corn on the grill Saturday and use the extra for this. Add avocadoes, salt, chili powder, purple onion, tomatoes-eat with chips, or a fork.)
Monday
Spaghetti (pasta .98, sauce 2/$4)
I really like to make my own sauce, but will use a jar tonight. We will be coming home from visiting friends, so keeping it simple.
Tuesday
Veggie


I cannot believe this will be the last week of school! I am so excited for summer, but also kinda sad C will be in FIRST grade! All those well meaning people that say, “it goes by so fast. Enjoy every minute” were not lying. I feel like this year went by in a flash and I can just see my kid’s childhoods zooming by. OKAY nice old lady, I’m there. I believe you now, and time can just stand.still. But, since that’s not possible, I just really have to try to enjoy the moments and treasure their young-ness. I've never done that well. It’s impossible to treasure EVERY moment, but this summer my goal is to really just BE present with my kids. Hold me to that ok? Unless they ask me to play school. I don’t have to do that. They’re so bossy! :)

Happy cooking, and happy last week of school! Bring on the summer!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,
    Your Costco trips sound like mine, we only get TP, Papertowels, laundry detergent (I like the Kirkland pods) cuban coffee (a must in the morning), and maybe fruits or vegetables (depending on the season. We don't have any Sprouts Markets here, but we have Aldi's and they are pretty good. I agree our babies do grow up super fast. My daughter is headed off to high school next year, I don't know if I want to cry because she's growing up too fast or I'm getting old:( We still have 2 weeks of school left, but I am itching for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered about their coffee! Glad to know you like it. We are everyday coffee drinkers for sure but I've been too scared to buy such a large amount of coffee without knowing if I like it or not! I've heard a lot about Aldi, but I've never been. The time flies once they're out of that baby phase. I always tell my husband, "they keep growing up, and we're staying the same age!"

      Delete
  2. Yay Dave's Bread! Glad you're liking it. Seriously, what will we do if Costco stops carrying Mateo's... what? Each visit I feel a little anxious when I approach that aisle. Going to Sprouts for chicken this week now that you've shown me the light. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I love it! Thanks for the tip. You are pretty, and smart:) Yay Sprouts!!

      Delete