Search This Blog

Monday, October 2, 2017

Home decor books to pull you out of a slump

Good morning, and welcome to "Monday morning confessions from the Yellow house." I'll be your host, because well, it's my blog, and if you're here (I love you!), you potentially are interested in what I have to share.

I'm in a slump. A dumpy, grumpy, slumpy slump. I've been uninspired and unmotivated. Bleck.

There are weeks where I am full of ideas, good ones even, and I can execute them beautifully. I even photograph them sometimes, blog about them! Aren't I impressive? Puh-lease. I'm even grossed out with that version of myself right now.

BUT, there's grace for that, and everything. Grace and understanding when you feel like a bump on a log when it comes to your long list of to dos.

So, to get me back on my creating, motivated, inspired feet, I checked out some books from the library that I thought might ignite some creativity and spark some inspiration in me. Sure, there's inspiration abundant on Instagram, on HGTV, or DIY network, but there's really just something about a book. To me anyway, it's much more soothing to look at beautiful photos in a book than it is on my phone screen. Which is cracked, so everything looks funky on there anyway. But you know what I mean.

In case you are also seeking advice on honing your style, or just looking for a rope to pull you out of your pit of decorating despair (too much? dramatic, I know.) I wanted to share these books with you, and some others I haven't read, but would love to check out soon.

Here's to feeling creative and inspired!

A Touch of Farmhouse Charm: Easy DIY projects to Add a Warm and Rustic Feel to Any Room
by Liz Fourez

If you are a DIY-er, this book is FOR YOU. If you're not, you will be spurred toward becoming one. It was very inspiring and written so well, as to encourage you that you CAN, as the acronym DIY suggests, "do it yourself".

Restore, Recycle, Repurpose: Create a Beautiful Home by Randy Florke and Nancy J Becker

This book was full of inspiration and written well to boot. (Read about how we turned old bowls into pendant lights) Repurposing projects are my favorite and make your house so special.


The Nesting Place: It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful by Myquillyn Smith

A sweet friend of mine actually gave me this book for my birthday. So, since I own it, it's pages are dog-eared, and marking gems like this: "...you can't DIY yourself into loving your home. No amount of painted furniture or stenciled pillows will make you more content with what you have."

Girl, preach!

"The imperfections play an important role: they put people at ease."

Myquillyn Smith writes like she's your best friend, and also has a fantastic blog: thenester.com


Here's some I've got on my list for my next, inevitable slump. Because, it happens.

750 Great Ideas for Decorating on a Budget
The Inspired Room by Melissa Michaels
Flea Market Fabulous: Designing Gorgeous Rooms with Vintage Treasures by Lara Spencer

I know there's TONS more out there, so share with me if you have one that's been tried and true for you! I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading, and happy Monday! XO, Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment